Thursday 19 December 2013

IT"S WHAT IS ON THE INSIDE THAT COUNTS. HOW TO MAKE A FRENCH SEAM

I have not done a post on sewing of late, as a lot have been Christmas presents. However, I took a break from Christmas sewing about two weeks ago and made myself a skirt to wear for Jarv's birthday.


Rather than just showing another skirt I have made, I thought I would show the inside and reveal I am as OCD with my sewing as I am with cleaning.

All seams are finished on the overlocker, then turned to hide this by using a French seam. A French seam is often used when the fabric is too delicate to overcast the seam allowance to prevent raveling. The construction of a French seam provides a clean, finished, professional look to the inside of the garment. But I like to use this on most garment, regardless of fabric.


Step 1
Make note of the of the difference between the “right” and “wrong” side of the fabric you are using. With a French seam's construction, it requires that you be aware of the difference so that they are properly oriented in each step.

Step 2
With the right sides facing out, pin material together, pinning entire length of edge where the French seam will be. You will be sewing the seam to the outside of the garment in this step.

Step 3
Overlock, or machine sew the edge. If machining, use pinking shears to finish the edge.

Step 4
Unfold with the right sides up. Press entire length of trimmed seam allowance, pressing both edges flat and to one common side. DO NOT press seam open! Be sure to use a setting on your iron that will not damage the fabric. Okay for the sake of honest, here is where I admit I always skip this step. I have made it to 45 without ever owning an iron.

Step 5
Fold material along newly created seam with wrong sides out. Now you are working on the inside of the garment. 

Step 6
Press entire length of seam flat at fold on wrong side. Be sure to use a setting on your iron that will not damage the fabric. Again I skip this step

Step 7
With wrong sides out, pin folded material together, pinning entire length of pressed seam created in Step 6.

Step 8
Stitch a 3/8" seam allowance along the entire length of the edge pinned in Step 7. Remove pins after the seam allowance has been sewn.

Step 9
Unfold with the wrong sides up. Press entire length of seam flat to one side. Be sure to use a setting on your iron that will not damage the fabric. Or again skip this step if like me you hate irons.

Step 10
Give yourself a pat on the back. The OCD in you will be happy with the neat finished seams!

This does add some bulk when you are using a heavier fabric, yet because of the style if skirts/dresses I like and sew this does not matter.


Now in keeping with the honesty, I will show some of the images that happened. Okay, so I am no model!



Ha! Look at me being all serious and model like!!

Close up of the fabric.

Thanks goes to Tamika for taking the photos for me.


6 comments:

  1. This is exactly why people would snap up things you make, cute and quality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm now if only I could convince myself of that

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure you're not a model? Love that last "serious" pose.
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! No! Justin normal takes images for me, he tells me how to stand are where to look. This time it was Teak and i cracking up at how bad the images where

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you all adorable! I love that you create your own skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only retail item I have bought in the last two..three.. years has been a pair of work pants. The rest I have made

    ReplyDelete

Comments are almost as good as getting a letter or parcel in the mail.