Monday 5 August 2013

MY EDUCATION: PART ONE

My story of education can be broken into three. Part one, primary and high school; part two Life Education, and part three tertiary education.

Me, just before I started school in Gladstone

Primary school nothing much of note. High school, hmmm well where do I begin and how much pain do I share? My parents moved to Gladstone third semester, year nine. I am not sure what was worse being invisible and not speaking to anyone for days, or the bullying?

Apparently I was different. My elder sister was/is the beautiful popular girl, with blue eyes, long blonde hair and even longer legs. Everyone adored her. My little sister was in primary school, and solved her dislike of school by simply going home everyday. What was also in her favour was she was great at sport and super intelligent.

There was physical and verbal bullying, always from girls. When will girls (women) learn to be nice to each other? Interestingly, I got called a slut. I was still a virgin, but because my elder sister and I had fake IDs and would sneak into the Shangrila Night Club I got this label. I was called weird and picked on for being different.

Eventually I had a group of friends? But there was always a sense of separation. I would not call us close, and when I left Gladstone I never saw any of them ever again.

There was worse that happened, but this is all I choose to share as I do not want to go into the negatives too much. What is positive about this life experience, is that it taught me, weird, different, the same, it does not matter. What does matter is to accept who you are. Those girls may have made my life hell in High School; however it has allowed me to make my own life choices, and not to follow popular opinions.


I finished high school and the very next day I moved from Gladstone to Brisbane. On the bus just me and my suitcase. Where I began the best part of my life and learning. 

12 comments:

  1. Girls and women can be so cruel...looking forward to reading about your life education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never understood why? Why do women like to 'cut' other women down? We need to learn to be supportive of each other.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you had to endure that. I had a few issues through school, but for the main part had friends in most groups and I floated around between them all. Kind of reflective if my life now, I have a vast group of friends from all different walk of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens. Sometimes it happens a lot worse to other people. I only wrote about it, because I think it is important in that it helped shaped who I am now.

      Delete
  3. Wow, moving to Brisbane the day after finishing High school, that must have taken some courage, to start out on your own, in a big strange city!
    Was your sister in Bris. at the time ? what an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No both sisters and parents were still in Gladstone. I was lucky, first week in Brisbane I got a job

      Delete
  4. Schoolyard bullying really is the worst, especially with girls. Thankfully I managed to escape unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot do not manage to escape. I think it begins at school and then continues into adult life

      Delete
  5. You know I agree on the bullying thing, I think a lot of it is fear and insecurity which then perpetuates a horrible whirlpool of fearful and hurt people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a horrible cycle that needs to be broken. Girls need to learn to support each other

      Delete
  6. The cult of the 'normal' in the school playground nearly kills all the best people. The mainstream has a strong current, but many swim against it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this could be said for all life.... being normal or trying to be what is deemed normal, is the worse thing any child can do

      Delete

Comments are almost as good as getting a letter or parcel in the mail.