I finished my “Target Skirt” last week, and it got its first outing to Buddha’s Birthday celebrations at South Bank.
Here is the original post on the skirt, when I debated if it looked too much like the Target logo. After finishing the skirt I asked Justin’s opinion and he said “it’s alright, just don’t ever wear it shopping". Hmm don’t think that was a positive answer.
My cute date and the fabric faults.
The fabric was filled with faults, colour runs and so many holes; I opted to line the skirt with raw calico. Not only to help hide the flaws but to give the skirt more weight. In typical me style of sewing I did not use a pattern, I just put the calico over the target fabric and cut the fabric to the length I wanted to wear it. Then it was a matter of just overlocking and gathering the two at the same time.
My no sewing pattern style of sewing.
Then I cut a second rectangle for a waist band. Lucky for me this all worked and came together with ease. As usual I avoided button holes, by using a zip and hook and eyes for the skirt closure. What took the longest in the making of the skirt was all of the darning I needed to do to mend all of the holes. I also slip stitched the hem to help it sit soft and full.
With the lining the skirt sits beautifully, it has a nice weight to it. I am very happy with the fit of it. But Justin's word ring in my head each time I go to wear it.... Target Logo Skirt!