Wednesday 7 January 2015

AGEISM AND AN AGEING ME



A while back, well it seems like ages ago, I wrote a couple of posts about Comments on My Appearance, and How Old is Too Old? At the same time I wrote about how I feel the world has become so ageist and youth culture seems supreme. Various popular media outlets regularly bombard our already increasingly self-centered, youth-obsessed culture with negative messages about aging and the aged. As a woman closer, and closer to fifty I question my worth as a woman. As an 'older woman'.

I went back to edit it, but then I read the below quote from Annie Lennox, and I think her words cover it exactly how I wanted.

"There's this youth culture that is really, really powerful and really, really strong, but what it does is it really discards people once they reach a certain age. I actually think that people are so powerful and interesting - women, especially - when they reach my age. We've got so much to say, but popular culture is so reductive that we just talk about whether we've got wrinkles, or whether we've put on weight or lost weight, or whether we've changed our hair style. I just find that so shallow."–Annie Lennox, who turned 60 in late December 2014


For 2015 can we not just empower other women instead of knocking them down? 


Note: Image not mine, obtained via Google Images. Trying to track original source. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are almost as good as getting a letter or parcel in the mail.