Monday 20 May 2013

TOURIST IN MY OWN CITY: QUEENSLAND MUSEUM SOUTHBANK

The Queensland Museum Southbank, is as the name states at Southbank on the river, it is situated next the Queensland Gallery of Art and near GOMA. On the bottom level of the museum is the Sciencecentre. The museum is free to enter and open most days from 9:30am to 5:00pm.



According to their website “This fascinating museum of natural history, cultural heritage, science and human achievement tells the changing story of Queensland.” In 1986 the Queensland Museum South Bank opened in the heart of Brisbane’s cultural precinct. From the museum it is a short walk to Southbank and all of the attractions the area has to offer. 



Jarvis and I each have our favourite sections of the museum, there are five levels to the museum so plenty of things and places to explore. 





Level four is the Discovery Centre, Jarvis will spend hours here, looking at all of the displays. Stuffed animals galore; and dozens and dozens of draws to open and close, filled with all interesting manor of things. 






The top level is an ever changing exhibition space; however the current exhibition is Collectomania. The online website states: “Take a peek inside the private collections of Queenslanders and see how our State’s collectors gain meaning and identity from their collections. Collectomania highlights a very human passion – collecting the things we love, fuelled by a sometimes unexplainable drive or desire to find the next perfect addition, preserve a moment in time or celebrate beauty, function and achievement.”








It is a great place to take Jarvis, on the weekend it is packed full of visitors, however on a week day there is heaps of space for Jarvis to explore. 

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely little place to take your little one. He looks like he is having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Educational, fun and free! all the things I look for when taking Jarvis places.

      Delete
  2. Oh my i just nearly fell of the chair at the collections! I have recently re-discovered my collecting gene and have been threatening a snow-globe collection for about 10 years!!!!!!

    thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, it brought tears to my eyes today! I also answered your question about sms as well...thank you fopr asking and googling, that's so touching xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collect lots of old stuff, but I think my only real collection is of my vintage cameras.

      Will pop back over to your blog now.

      Delete
  3. Dominic would've went crazy for snow globes! (I'm assuming they were behind glass). This looks like such a fun place & I'm sure Jarvis had a blast running around and exploring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went crazy fro the snow globes! Yes safe and sound behind a glass cabinet. That was covered in little finger prints. Which makes me think a lot of little people liked them.

      Delete
    2. snowglobes! I love snowglobes. we have 30 in our collection. collectomania for sure. the discovery centre looks perfect for jarvis :)

      Delete
    3. I am getting more and more curious as to what people collect

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness Jarvis is too cute for words!!!! You are so lucky to have such an adorable little man to hang out with :D
    I LOVE the QLD museum (and just South Bank in general!) I love the snakes and geckos they have in the wildlife section, so awesome.
    That collectomania exhibit was really interesting, that replica Hobbit home was so cool :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have such a gorgeous companion on all of my adventures. There is so much to love at the QLD Museum, i am just happy Jarvis loves it as much as I do

      Delete

Comments are almost as good as getting a letter or parcel in the mail.